Meet Katherine Herten....one of our Janes!!
In her words. What she loves ...
- my children, Kyle and Josie
- my career - this is my 19th year teaching; I am a 5th grade math and science teacher
- riding my bicycles - Two wheels to freedom!!! I ride in the city, on trails, at our local indoor mountain bike park (Ray's MTB), to the grocery store (I have a designated grocery getter with a crate zip-tied to the back lol), with Critical Mass, with my best friend, previously with my mother who was an avid cyclist, ... there is always at least one bicycle in the back of my minivan on any given day
- outdoor activities - sailing, boating, swimming, scuba diving, camping, hiking, kayaking, skiing, staring at the clouds, campfires, ...
- cooking, learning about food, dining out, wine, beer, and cocktails, hosting small dinner parties for my lady friends and colleagues
I've tried surfing, rock climbing, zip lining, ropes courses, backpacking, wake boarding, and probably other recreational activities that I can't remember but I would like to continue to diversify my experiences.
I am ruggedly independent.
- I am an only child, I was raised by my mother who is a musician and now a retired social worker, I have 2 graduate degrees, I was married for 11 years (divorced), I have MANY cousins who I love (from my mother's family).
- I've been riding BMX since 2014 when I grabbed a bike to encourage my son on the track after he wrecked. I wrecked in my first race but was still in love with it!
- I would like to try mountain biking next summer and I hope to buy another sailboat in the next few years to sail with my children out of Cleveland, which is my hometown and heart!
- would love to travel more.
- Wrecking my BMX during the first moto at The Buckeye National on August 11 is what led me to Dirty Jane in search of protective riding wear built specifically for women.